Before you leave for Thanksgiving Break, remember to take note of these simple ways to save energy on campus:
1. Shut down desktop and laptop computers unless instructed otherwise by IT or administrative staff. If your computer, speakers, phone charger, etc., are all on one power strip, turn off the power strip after shutting down your computer.
2. Unplug nonessential equipment such as copiers, fax machines, printers, scanners, and chargers since most equipment draws electricity even when turned off.
3. Unplug all appliances including coffee makers, microwaves, televisions, and radios. Like office equipment, many appliances use electricity even when turned off.
4. Turn off office lights and as much public lighting as possible in hallways, bathrooms, break rooms, and conference rooms.
5. Check windows to make sure they are tightly closed and locked.
6. Check faucets in bathrooms and break rooms to make sure they are completely turned off and not dripping.
7. Turn down thermostats to 65 degrees.
8. If you work in a lab with variable air volume fume hoods, shut the sash completely (just as you should any time the hood is not in use).
9. Call in any leaks or maintenance issues to your Facilities Services team (919-962-3456 or
These tips will help keep your building safe and energy-efficient over the break.
Happy Thanksgiving from Energy Management!